Brake M/C rebuild kits

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake M/C rebuild kits
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 97 10:03:17 PST
All,
        Thanks to the many folk who responded to my plea on the
availability and quality of TR6 brake M/C rebuild kits.  The
following is a summary of those reports, and my subsequent follow-ups
via phone to the appropriate companies.

        Most of those that replied recommended that I use only
the Lucas kits.  These kits are available from both Moss and TRF
(out-of-stock!) for a very hefty $46 or so, and include all seals and a
new tipping valve.  The Lucas kit comes with good instructions.

        Other vendors may offer cheaper rebuild kits, but the parts are
usually outsourced and may be of less quality compared with the Lucas kit.

        Some folk suggested that I have the m/c rebuilt by Apple
Hydraulics.  $95 (exchange) will get you a rebuilt m/c.  This is NOT
a resleeved m/c, rather Apple rebores the m/c and uses o/size seals.
This is pretty important, as any future rebuilds will require o/size
seals, the only source of which I could ascertain being Apple.  Apple
do resleeve m/c, but for a considerably greater sum (I forget if it
was $160 total, or $160 each for both bores - I suspect the latter).

        I chose the home-rebuild path which is pretty straightforward.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego