Re: FW: Engine bay paint etc..

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: FW: Engine bay paint etc..
From: "Dave Rupert"<Dave_Rupert@codl.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 97 16:43:45 -0500
     Paul,

     I don't know what to tell ya on the engine bay paint, but I thought
     all the TR's just used body color.

     On the exhaust manifold issue, cast assemblies can be very hard to
     weld. The problem is that the crack will want to keep on growing in
     front of the weld as the heat is being applied.  I cracked a manifold
     once, and the repair involved completely grinding out the crack, then
     heating the entire manifold to just below red-hot before TIG welding.
     The ground out area was then filled in with new metal, and I was given
     no garuantees.  It did work fine, however.

     I can't give you any idea of cost since I shmoozed a neighbor into
     doing it for me.   He was a professional fabricator for the aerospace
     industry before he retired to restore Indian Motorcyles.  I told him
     the manifold was from a Triumph, and he kept trying to figure out
     which year Bonneville took that funky looking thing...