TR 250 (TR 4a) Wiper Motor Painting

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR 250 (TR 4a) Wiper Motor Painting
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 18:46:13 -0500
Esteemed Scions, Owners of original TR4's,4a's, 250's, and collectors
of N.O.S. Lucas parts,

 First here's the question: Is the wiper motor for my TR 250 supposed
to be finished, in the steel center section,  with  Hammerite paint?

   All this talk of Hammerite paint lately bought up a tought
from the back of my mind.  I rebuilt my wiper motor last spring.
This was one of those rectangular ones, not the TR6 style.  As
far as I could tell, it appeared to be painted in black wrinkle
paint, which I used when I repainted the steel body.
  After I did this (it always is after it's too late, isn't it?),
I began to notice TR 250 wiper motors on the concours show cars
were a sort of weird metallic blue/green color.
   I talked with Jeff S. from  New Jersey (check the winner of TRF's
Summer Party concours winner, TR 250 class), who has the most
incredibly mint 250 on the planet, and is something of a TR 250 guru,
about this.  His reply was that his was a N.O.S. wiper motor, and the
correct finish.  He also said that finish could be duplicated with
a paint called "Hammerite".

  So I must know, is my wiper motor refinished in the wrong paint?  I'm
not afraid to go back to square one on this issue, it won't be the
first time I've re-rebuilt things.

                       TIA
                             JOE IV
                             TR 250