Re: TR6 Trani Oil Pug

To: streeter@sanders.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Trani Oil Pug
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 19:38:27 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Peter Zaborski wrote:
>
> > I use a 7/16" _8_ point socket. This fits all 4 corners of
> > the plug and should provide the best application of force.
> > If you can find a 4 point 7/16 all the better but in my neck
> > of the woods only Snap On and Mac have the 4 point sockets,
> > Craftsman (or Husky, can't remember now) only came in 8.
>
> I am going to highly recommend Peter's solution of a 7/16"
> 8-point socket.  It is truly amazing the difference to see
> the difference of having the right tool for the job in this
> case.  (An 8-point socket is intended for 4-sided fasteners,
> having 90-degree "points.")
>
> Craftsman (Sears) carries these sockets, and they are the
> first "special tool" I would recommend for a TR6 owner.
> The 7/16" 8-point socket will fit the oil drain plug,
> the transmission fill plug, and the rear axle (diff) fill
> plug as well.
>
> Buy the 8-point socket, and you won't ever again have to
> worry about rounding off those fill plugs -- if you already
> have rounded off fill plugs, buy the socket first (to get
> the old one off) and order some replacement fill plugs
> from your favorite parts vendor, they're just a few dollars
> each, and will make you ever so much happier next time you
> go to change the oil...
>
> --ken
> VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org
> '70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers
>
> PS:  Last night marked the official start of the "top-up"
> driving season for the Streeters -- took the tonneau cover
> off, and put the hardtop on the '70 TR6...
>
> --
> Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
> Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
> PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
> Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631

Peter & Ken:

Thanks for the advice. I used the twelve point and rounded off
the corners (really bad). I will get the eight points but wanted
to ask your advice regarding the "rounded" plug.

If the plug is rounded so bad that the eight point will not grip
to unscrew plug (or plug is frozen), what other advice could you
lend a frustrated TR6 owner who only wants to treat his car right
and give it some fresh transmission oil.

Thanks

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6