Re: Unleaded fuel & octane

To: gargoyle@staffnet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel & octane
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 01:31:53 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-26 00:08:18 EDT, gargoyle@staffnet.com writes:

> May I assume that by "regular" you mean today's regular unleaded gas,
>  not the "regular" with which we all grew up?  And for listers in
>  general, what opinions exist on octane as it relates to this thread?  I
>  run my 59 TR3A on premium for octane, on reccomendation of an old
>  'expert', have done so for 10 years, and really never questioned this
>  again.

John:

Actually, I meant both. I use regular, unleaded gas. As long as your engine
doesn't ping under acceleration, there is no need to use a higher grade of
gas. The anti-ping characteristic is the only difference between the grades
of gas, as I understand it. Again, this is an area outside of my limited
expertise, so I am just passing on the things I have read over the years on
the subject.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74