Re: Unleaded fuel & octane

To: GARGOYLES <gargoyle@staffnet.com>
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel & octane
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 21:16:54 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
GARGOYLES wrote:

> Dan:
>
> May I assume that by "regular" you mean today's regular unleaded gas,
> not the "regular" with which we all grew up?  And for listers in
> general, what opinions exist on octane as it relates to this thread?  I
> run my 59 TR3A on premium for octane, on reccomendation of an old
> 'expert', have done so for 10 years, and really never questioned this
> again.
>
> All input appreciated.
>
> John Herlig

John,
My experience is that on engines that have 8:1 or less compression,
regulat (87 octane) fuel seems to be ok.  As the compression goes up,
however, octane requirement increases to the point where "pinging" will
occur. at this point it is mandatory to increase the octane of the fuel
so that the engine performs properly and is not damaged.

Octane can be increased by upgrading the fuel or adding octane boosters.

Joe Curry    '63 Spit (formerly with 265 pounds of compression)