Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 or TR4?? Help!!
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, John Cowan wrote:

> Under the skin, my TR-4A solid axle scarcely differs from my TR-3A.
> Nonetheless, they are very different in feel.  Different rear ends,
> different power and the 4 has stiff springs, as well as anti-roll bars.
> Personally, I think the best compromise would be a 3 with 87 mm pistons,
> anti-roll bars front and back, and a lower seat, because I stare out at the
> top of the windshield.

They're different in feel partly because the TR4A - even a solid-axled one
- uses an entirely different chassis design.  Your stiff springs and
anti-roll bars obviously contribute, but they are not standard equipment.
Aside from the lighter steering (rack & pinion versus the TR2/3 Bishop Cam
box), I notice very little difference in feel between my very early TR4
and a TR3.  On the other hand I do notice a difference between my TR4 and
a solid-axled TR4A.  Feels like a different design, which in fact it is.

>   If you can find a real clean example of either, grab it.

Agreed.  They're both lots of fun.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us