fuel lines

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: fuel lines
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:37:22 -0600
I recently rebuilt my carbs but have noticed that I still have a leak in
one of them. I think the reason is because the needle valve is being
clogged with little rust particles from my fuel line. I find the rust in
the bottom of the float bowl when I take the carb apart. (I have already
readjusted the float level to what I believe is the correct height).

The suspect fuel line is the one which leads from the fuel pump around
the front of the engine (on my TR6 this is a solid metal line). Although
my lines from the tank to the pump are also in probably the same
condition, I trust that the fuel filter mounted before the pump does an
adequate job of screening the particles from those lines (is this
correct?). I certainly see these particles in the filter when I look (I
have the clear plastic filter installed).

So the questions are:

1. Is there some foolproof test to determine that indeed the valve is
clogged and that is why the leak?

2. Assuming the line rust is causing the leak, how should I go about
changing the line. I know the procedure to remove and re-install it, I
just don't know where to get another one made (all 3 catalogs don't have
this part available). Do I just bring the old line to some shop and they
will know what to do or is more complex than that? And what type of shop
would do this kind of work? I assume the critical parts of this are: the
threaded end which goes into the pump, and the proper shaping of the
line so it routes properly and doesn't kink.

3. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the lines with the steel
braided hose like some fancy cars seem to have (mostly race cars). Any
opinions on this? The one advantage of the solid metal lines I see is
that the routing is pretty straightforward once the line is bent into
the right shape, whereas with the hose, I would need to install brackets
to keep it away from touching the engine.

Thanks for any advice.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada