Re: fuel lines

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: fuel lines
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:59:27 +0100
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:(snip)

> The suspect fuel line is the one which leads from the fuel pump around
> the front of the engine (on my TR6 this is a solid metal line). Although
> my lines from the tank to the pump are also in probably the same
> condition
>
> So the questions are:

>> 2. Assuming the line rust is causing the leak, how should I go about
>changing the line. I know the procedure to remove and re-install it, I just
>don't know where to get another one made

3. I have toyed with the idea of replacing the lines with the steel
> braided hose like some fancy cars seem to have (mostly race cars). Any
> opinions on this?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Peter: On these 2 points, I can help.

2. Bend your own! The tools are readily available at any auto parts
store. NEVER use a plumbing style flaring tool on automotive tubing. Ask
me how I learned this fact....
For less that the cost of an hour's worth of outside labor, you can buy
the double flare tool set for use on automtive tubing. It'll do all your
fuel, brake, and vacum hardlines sizes. Mine cost @$30 (US) 10 years ago
and it was used to replace every hardline on my Tiger. It has since
saved the day on the TR and my GTI. Get a bending tool and buy the
lengths of straight tubing, and you're on your way. It realy isn't hard
to do.

3. Yes, braided hose is tough and looks really cool, but can you
justifly the cost per foot over regular hardline? If you got a big
budget go for it.