Re: Transverse spring/disk brakes

To: gbowley@snet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transverse spring/disk brakes
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:10:17 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-24 15:20:52 EDT, gbowley@snet.net writes:

> 2.) Has anybody ever tried putting disk brakes on the rear of a Spitfire? I

> really hate
>  the stock drum units! (I know, I know, they do the job!)
>  Any comments, experience in this area?

Glenn:

If you do put discs in the rear, make sure you add a proportioning valve in
the line to the rear to balance them with the front. The last thing in the
world you want in a panic stop is for the rear brakes to lock up before the
fronts. When that happens, the rear end has a very annoying tendency to move
around to the front, making it very hard to control the car (it's a lot
easier to control where you're going if you can see where you're going,
instead of where you've been! Where you've been is only of  historical value)

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74