signal /brake/ parking light fuse blows

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: signal /brake/ parking light fuse blows
From: wave@ravenet.com (Will Daly)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:33:06 -0700
Hi Fellow TR's

My 74 TR6 was backed into recently and sustained front damage.  After
replacing the headlights, which work, I noticed that the front signals,
side lamps, and rear lights are out.  It blows fuses and I'm having a
hell of a time finding where it's shorting out !!!  The two red wires
coming off the fuse block ground out ...and also ground out at every
point I check them along the front...though there are no shorts in the
light wells themselves.  Could a relay have been shorted to ground or is
the red wire supposed to be a ground interrupted by a relay or
something?
If I unplug the three wires from the light toggle on the dash, red still
shorts everywhere.  Should I try to bypass the relays next to the fuse
block to test shorting?

There is a ground post in front of the radiator, in the same wire run,
behind the grill, but this isn't a red wire....unless the red might be
meeting it somewhere.

As I worked on the wiring today, no less than 3 miatas went by with
their tops up....and it's like 60 something today in Wilmington, DE; a
beautiful fall day!!  I had to laugh ( from under my hood between fits
of swearing!! :) !

Any advice is apreciated!!
Will