Disappearing coolant (not my TR)

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Disappearing coolant (not my TR)
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:28:39 -0400
Sorry to bother the list with a non-LBC question, but I am at a loss on this
one.

I've got a problem with disappearing coolant on my commuter vehicle (1989
2.0 liter Chevy Cavalier).  I lose about a quart of coolant every 3,000
miles.  The cooling system has been pressurized and no leaks have been
found.  Coolant is disappearing from the overflow resevior (new and not
leaking), but the radiator is never completely full, as if the vacuum
required to pull the coolant back from the overflow isn't quite all there.

I've had a minor loss of coolant problem for a year or two. It seems to be
accelerating now.  I just replaced a leaky heater core, which I thought was
the problem, but the coolant loss continues.

I suspect I have a head gasket leak, but have no white smoke in the exhaust
to indicate this.  I did, however, rust out a Walker exhaust system in two
years, on a mostly highway use vehicle.

How can I diagnose a bad head gasket. Is a leakdown test required to find a
head gasket leak?  If so, how is it done.

BTW - there is no water in the oil.

Does anyone have any suggestions, beyond using black pepper (or commercial
additives) in the coolant to plug the leak?

Thanks for your assistance, and patience with my posting this non-LBC
situation, before it attains critical mass and detonates.  It's almost too
cold to press the TR3 into daily service.

Please, all replies private, unless they deal with "useful to LBC's"
information.

Jack (who can admit, he drives a beater Cavalier sedan) Brooks   =:-0
1960 TR3A  TS69032L (with all of it's coolant and water wetter)