Re:Timing for TR4

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Timing for TR4
From: "Dave Rupert"<Dave_Rupert@codl.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 10:59:47 -0500
     Jim,

     Since you just get the digest, hopefully you'll get a lot of mail on
     your problem!  I'll keep this message short to save bandwidth, cuz
     somebody may have an easier method than mine.

     If a DPO screwed up your valve timing, the positions of your rockers
     will not tell your where TDC is.  In addition, if the sprockets aren't
     original, who knows where the scribe marks should be... The best way
     to make sure of TDC (with the head still on) is to get a degree wheel,
     and make a piston stop.  I think a degree wheel can be had for about
     $25.00, and you can make a piston stop from a bolt sized to fit your
     spark plug hole, plus a couple nuts.  An old spark plug can work, too.

     I realize this is may sound arcane, but it's not that bad.  BTW, TDC
     refers to the crank position, and I think you are using it to refer to
     your cam. However, I'm also confused easily. ;-)

     Hopefully, someone else has a much easier method to solve your
     problem.  However, if you don't get any other responses that work for
     you, I'll try to help you out with this method. It's a pain, but it
     always works.

     David Rupert
     1967 TR4A
     1980 TR7