Re: Beating the Lucas Demons

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Subject: Re: Beating the Lucas Demons
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:06:03 -0700
Cc: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Joe Curry wrote:

> Malcolm Walker wrote:
> >
> > Sometime soon I will be removing the starter from the TR4 to give it an
> > overhaul.  I would like to know if there's any product I can put on the
> > electrical contacts to stop them from corroding (hopefully, a permanent
> > solution...?
> >
> > My first guess would be Vaseline, as I think it's used on battery
> > terminals.  Anyone else have a suggestion?
> >
> > -Thanks,
> > Malcolm
>
> Malcolm,
> You might want to try KY Jelly instead of Vaseline, I hear it works
> better in some situations!!!!!!!
>
> Seriously,  any kind of grease should help.  The thicher the better, so
> it won't come off as easily.
>
> Joe Curry    '63 Spit

I have used a product from "Eastwood" called "KOPR-SHIELD" .  In their
latest catalog, it is number 1695 and sells for $7.99.  (it's a 1 1/2
oz. bottle, but it goes a long way.)

I have used it extensively on connections on my TR 4A and believe it
does help make a better connection.

(Eastwood is at 1-800-345-1178)

Another option is silicone GREASE...   I have read that this used to
protect distributors and electrical connections on EXpeditinionary
vehicles.  The stuff is kinda pricey though...

Another option, it to paint the connections with liquid electrical
tape...  But this can be in your way in the future... etc.

Justin
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner
jmwager@greenheart.com
TR 4A/TR 4A IRS