Re: More carb fun....

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Subject: Re: More carb fun....
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:33:56 -0700
Chris Lillja wrote:

> >>rebuilt HS6's. They're quite beautiful, clean, polished and they
> adjust to a beautiful, steady 900 rpm idle....
>
> >>Once prodded, however, they don't seem to want to return to idle.

<SNIP>

> And no, there's no leak around the shaft...
>
> More questions:

<SNIP>

> 3. Could the timing be off sufficiently to INCREASE the idle speed?
> Too advanced? The vac advance seems to work fine and hold a vac. (no
> leaks there) It was fine before....

<SNIP>

> Any and all input welcomed.....
>
> "Still ride in triumph over all mischance..." - Shakespeare
>
> Chris Lillja
> TR4A
> Norton Commando
> Spit MKIV

Chris,
  Just my $0.02 here...  I would certainly check your timing.  If I am
correct, an idle is a relatively "high-vacuum" situation, and since
you've "re-built" your carbs, and in a sense removed any chance of
vacuum leaks, it might be kicking in your vacuum advance that much more,
much earlier on.  Am I on the right track here?  You know, you've got
that much more vacuum applied to the dashpot than you had before,
because you eliminated several leaks.  Again, just a thought...

Peter Ficklin
'63 & '64 Spits