Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3 ?

To: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Subject: Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3 ?
From: Paul Cormier <compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:59:58 -0300
Cc: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Odd Hedberg wrote:

Hi Odd,

> The FC 70653 (without an L suffix? If so then it should be right hand

The "L" was so far right, and rusted, that I never noticed it.  :)

> drive...) tells us it's one Spitfire Mk2 made rather late in 1965.
> First one made after Jan 1 1966 was FC 71766... So it is OK to be
> licensed as a '66 I guess. But it's actually a car made in 1965 You've

That's good to know.

> The front comes from a much later Spitfire. A Mk3, and the first of
> those wasn't made until Jan 1967, so it seems some DPO obviously
> "fixed" something more than a mere fender bender... If Your front
> have got an aluminium plinth for the mounting of the park/turn light

What do you mean by "plinth"?

> cluster - then it's from a Mk3 up to FD 7031, if the light cluster is
> mounted directly on the bonnet - then it's from a later car. The first
> 7031 Mk3's were fitted with the plinth so as to use the leftover Mk2

The turn lignts are mounted directly on the bonnet.  From my Haynes
manual, the mk3 lights are on the bonnet, and the later km4 are on the
front valance.  So this would be the front end of a mk3, right?

Is there a big difference between the bonnet of a mk3 and mk2?  What
about the mounting brackets for the bumper...  I'd like to bring it back
to the original mk2 look.

..Paul