Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3 ?

To: Paul Cormier <compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3 ?
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 19:19:16 +0200
Cc: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Paul,
I'll try to give You some hints to what You've got...
Or probably got... ;-)

The FC 70653 (without an L suffix? If so then it should be right hand
drive...) tells us it's one Spitfire Mk2 made rather late in 1965.
First one made after Jan 1 1966 was FC 71766... So it is OK to be
licensed as a '66 I guess. But it's actually a car made in 1965 You've
got.

The front comes from a much later Spitfire. A Mk3, and the first of
those wasn't made until Jan 1967, so it seems some DPO obviously
"fixed" something more than a mere fender bender... If Your front
have got an aluminium plinth for the mounting of the park/turn light
cluster - then it's from a Mk3 up to FD 7031, if the light cluster is
mounted directly on the bonnet - then it's from a later car. The first
7031 Mk3's were fitted with the plinth so as to use the leftover Mk2
bonnets.

Hope this clarifies things.
Yours
/Odd