RE: TR-6 rear camber problems

To: "Steve Sutton" <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>, "Steve Sutton" <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: TR-6 rear camber problems
From: "Craig Bentley" <MMBENT@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 03:24:39 UT

-----Original Message-----
From:   owner-triumphs@autox.team.net  On Behalf Of Steve Sutton
Sent:   Saturday, October 11, 1997 6:11 PM
To:     triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject:        TR-6 rear camber problems

Hello all,

   I am noticing wear on the inside edge of the rear tires of my recently
restored (finished 1 yr - 3,000 miles ago) '74 TR-6.  Every item was replaced
during the rebuild process.  When the car is parked it does have a slight
negative camber (top of tires tilted inward compared to the bottom)  Is this
normal?

   When it was aligned, rear camber was within spec ( -.9 deg on left, -1.4
deg
on right).  I used the stock grade bushings from TRF (because I live on a very
rough dirt road) along with the stock TRF springs (part #214293).  These
springs were significantly longer that those I removed ( ~12" vs. ~10"), new
rubber spring packings were also installed.  The training arm brackets are
installed with the notches up - 3 notch bracket in the inboard position and 1
notch bracket in the outboard position.

   I have read about possibly needing to use the aluminum spacer that BL came
up with to fix the camber problem.  Any ideas?

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6 - daily driver!
ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us
Ridgecrest,CA

[]  Generally speaking camber is not a major source of tire wear unless of
course it is really negative (or positive for all that matters) I don't know
what the actual specs are but yours sound reasonable. My suggestion is to have
the rear toe in (out) checked because it is the toe angle that is most
detrimental to tire wear in my experience. I would think that the difference
between the two camber measurements is more of a problem. All the cars I work
on general give the spec.max. difference between sides and that is usually +/-
15 min.  Richard Goode (sp?) makes stackable spacers that you can install to
fine tune the camber on the rear. I don't have his address/phone # number
handy but I'll see if I can dig it up for you if your interested.
Craig
Bentley