Re: Spitfire Database

To: s1500@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Database
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:11:24 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Sykes wrote:

> It's a small world.  I lived in the Lakenheath / Mildenhall area
> from '68 to '76.  I was back there about 2 years ago, and boy has
> it changed!  The (back then fairly new) BX at lakenheath is a
> shopping mall with fast food places etc now.  Many other big changes.

Bob,
Let me take a minute to relate a story regarding LBC's and RAFL.

While stationed at Lakenheath, I drove a red '52 MGTD (I know...not a
Triumph, but I was young then) Just after having it totally repainted,
I was turning left on base behind a VW Squareback.  The VW turned and
after about 20 feet, stopped because workmen had the road blocked off.
The driver (the wife of a Lt. Colonel from Mildenhall) then backed up
without looking and planted the VW firmly into my left front wing.

Needless to say I was extremely upset.  But not nearly as upset as I was
about to get.

THe SP's came to investigate (a real nice Tech Sgt.).  He had us both
come to the SP shack a couple of blocks away where he took statements
from both of us.  And they were essentially the same.  The lady admitted
that she had backed into me.  Later, the husband comes down and after
talking to his wife, her story suddenly changes.  Now it is me that ran
into her.  The SP was not amused.  Neither was I.

The Lt Colonel. told his insurance carrier the same story and they
refused to pay for my car's repair.

I then (being the ass-hole that I am prone to be in such situations)
went straight to the Judge Advocate's office and filed charges on the
officer for falsifying information and impeeding an investigation.

In short, the Lt. Colonel did pay for fixing my car and did so out of
his own pocket. The insurance company wouldn' change the record after
his initial story.

I thought you might enjoy that piece of history.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit