Re: More dumb spit questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More dumb spit questions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:45:21 -0700
Martin W. writes:
>Question-- to pull the stub axle from the diff, do I
>undo the four bolts on the plate and the stub axle just pulls out of the
>gears or is there something more to it? also, is there a gasket between
>the plate and the diff housing I will need to order ( the top 3 parts
>cataloges don't show one)  finally, is there anything should be aware of
>when replacing the seal.
Yep, remove the 4 allen head bolts and tap the stub axle assy right out.
Its splined to fit the side gears, and unlike the TR6 range they are of the
same length either side.  So you needn’t worry about putting them in wrong.
 There is no gasket, and I put a thin film of RTV on the surfaces to seal
them on reassembly.  The only trick to remember is to remove the little
spring lock ring before you attempt to remove the bearing, and while your
there, might as well replace that little bearing anyway.  Orient the flange
the same way when you reassemble and that's it.  you don’t even have to
remove the diff from the car.