More dumb spit questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, dmitchel@ford.com, Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: More dumb spit questions
From: Martin Wilson <martinw@fmc.gov>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:33:39 -0400
This must be dumb spitfire questions day!! By another martin at that!!

Background--After I drove the 78 spitfire over the weekend, I noticed a
small bit of differential fluid has seeped out of the "stub" axle area.
Looking at it I noticed one of the four bolts (allen wrench head?) holding
the seal plate on was missing. I have a replacement bolt for that, but ...
if after I replace the bolt and if that doesn't stop the leak, I will most
likely replace the seal. Question-- to pull the stub axle from the diff, do I
undo the four bolts on the plate and the stub axle just pulls out of the
gears or is there something more to it? also, is there a gasket between
the plate and the diff housing I will need to order ( the top 3 parts
cataloges don't show one)  finally, is there anything should be aware of
when replacing the seal.

TIA
marty wilson
78 spit