[Fwd: Re: transporting an lbc]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: transporting an lbc]
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 15:50:01 -0700
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 15:39:16 -0700
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: transporting an lbc

Edward Hamilton wrote:

> I will be hauling a spit, of unknown condition, approximately 500
> miles.  I assume the preferred method would be to get all four wheels
> off the ground (a car hauler).  Unfortunately, my regular vehicles -- a
> volvo and a jeep cherokee are not rated to use such a trailer.  The
> U-Haul version is 2,100# empty.  So, I suspect I will have to use the
> dolly type arrangement, placing the two front wheels in a cradle.
> The spit runs, but hasn't been on the road for approximately 4 years.  I
> would like some imput or suggestions from you people, but would assume
> that I should:
> 1.  Check the rear wheel bearings for greese
> 2.  Check the differential for fluid
> 3.  Is there a recomendation to remove the drive shaft?
>
> This being my first lbc, what tools should I carry with me to complete
> this task -- the type fluid and greese?
> I would appreciate your comments and/or suggestions.
>
> Best regards,
> Ed Hamilton

Ed,
You are correct, the recommended method is to get all 4 wheels up.
There are too many things that may not work after that long without
being exercised.  Most noteably, all your U-joints (2 on driveshaft
and 2 on axle shafts).  Also, the wheel bearings in the rear.  Spits
are notorious for eating up Axle bearings (and axles at the same time)
if they are not properly lubricated.

Iy you have no other options, make sure the above things are free and
operating properly.   Also check the oil in the differential and the
transmission.

Finally, Send me the following information on your Spit ( and any others
you know of) and I'll put you in my Worldwide Spitfire Database.

Year
Model
Commission#
Color