Quafie (was TR-4 Diff stuff)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quafie (was TR-4 Diff stuff)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:24:33 -0700
>As I understand the quaife (or other brands) will not fit the 3.27 due to
>space limitations within the case. If you have ever pulled a 3.27 rear case
>off, the ring gear has to be in one particular spot
       <  snip  >
>The 3.89 fitted to the overdrive cars (although some could also have
>3.27's) must have a different ring / pinion size relationship that allows
>the quaife to fit within the ring gear?.
*****************************
The Quafie carrier will accept any gear ratio from 3:63 to 4:11, Spitfire
or GT6 doesn't matter as they all use the same spacing from the ring gear
mounting to the pinion center.  The 3:27 ratio is spaced about .090 inch
further away from the pinion centerline, has special, shorter ring gear
bolts with NO lockwashers, and you MUST use loc-tite when reassembling (a
good idea anyway).  That's the reason the two will not interchange.  I had
actually thought of re-machining my Quaife unit to fit the 3:27 gear set,
but it was so beautifully machined I could'nt bear to do it.  I had
re-machined a regular carrier to accept the 3:27 gear set I had in the
Spitfire before so I knew it could be done.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )