Re: TR-3A - Hood stick cover security at high speed?

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3A - Hood stick cover security at high speed?
From: "Brian S. Thomas" <thomasb@post.queensu.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:49:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:38 AM 10/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>    A black hood stick cover really enhances the appearance of my pale
>yellow TR-3A, but I can't seem to secure the thing at highway speed.  As
>soon as I go over 50 mph, the center pulls out and starts flapping in the
>wind.  I've tried several tricks to block it in place, but feel that some
>kind of snaps are what is required.  The dot to dots are missing at the
>inside corners (up underneath the hood sticks), but don't look like they
>would work the problem even if they were in place.

John:

The missing fasteners/posts are likely your problem.  The posts mount on
the rear or side capping (I'd have to look).  When I put the cover on
either the TR2 or the TR3, these are the first things to be fastened (after
putting the ends over the hood sticks).  I've never had a problem with the
cover flapping.  However, it is sometimes difficult (when it is cold out)
to keep the two staps fastened while the rest of the cover is stretched
into place.  Both my hood stick covers are original STANPART factory issue
that came with the cars when new - the fit of aftermarket reproductions may
vary (and contribute to your problem).

Let me know if I can supply any measurements or additional detail.

Brian

Brian S. Thomas                 e-mail: ThomasB@Post.QueensU.Ca
Co-ordinator, Info. Systems     v-mail: 613-545-2228
Computing Centre                   fax: 613-545-2168
Queen's University                home: 613-542-8110
Kingston, Ontario CANADA K7L 3N6  toys: '54 TR2,'56 TR3,'67 TR4A,'80 TR8