spit frames

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit frames
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 22:25:00 -0640
Nolan Penny wrote:

>So, can I put a 74 frame under a 1980 Spitfire?  I'd thought they used
>the same frame thoughout production, but a friend told me they made
some
>significant changes in the 1500 Spitfires.

Nolan...I suspect that these frames will pretty much swap out without
major problems.

1974 was the first year the 1500 got the rear frame rail extensions
found on later cars.  The rear bumper chrome box section didn't
appear 'till '75 <I think>, but it's not part of the frame.

'74 also had beefed-up front frame sections that supported the
large triangular overiders...the later overiders became more
square but I'm not aware of any frame changes here.

Your '80 does not have the late style "molded" bumpers, does
it?  Can't comment on these as I've yet to see one in the
flesh. <steel/rust? :-)>

I have a '77 parts car sitting in my back yard here that I
would be happy to compare to my '74 if you need more info.

Regards...
Tom O'Malley
'74, 77 Spits