Re: spit frames

To: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spit frames
From: Bill Woodruff <woodruff@fail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 11:01:16 -0700
At 10:25 PM 6/24/97 -0640, Tom Omalley wrote:

>Nolan Penny wrote:
>
>>So, can I put a 74 frame under a 1980 Spitfire?  I'd thought they used
>>the same frame thoughout production, but a friend told me they made
>some
>>significant changes in the 1500 Spitfires.
>
>Nolan...I suspect that these frames will pretty much swap out without
>major problems.
>
>1974 was the first year the 1500 got the rear frame rail extensions
>found on later cars.  The rear bumper chrome box section didn't
>appear 'till '75 <I think>, but it's not part of the frame.

The '80 spit does have the large molded bumpers.  The front of frame does
have some unique modifications; using the earlier frame with the late
bumpers isn't a bolt together modification.  Having said that, I seem to
recall my friend's '78 chrome bumper spit having most of the same mounting
hardware as my '79 w/ molded bumpers.  But, the '78 bumper mounts were
bolted to earlier style bonnet hinge extensions (like those on the '74
frame), whereas the 79's were welded.  Perhaps you can kluge a few years
together and get most of what you need.

William Woodruff                                woodruff@fail.com
San Francisico, CA