Re: TR6 Engine Balance

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Balance
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:58:25 -0400
Regarding John's engine balancing experience:
"Then the flywheel, crank, and damper were balanced by drilling  1/8 to
1/4 inch wholes in the appropriate spots of the flywheel and damper.
This surprised me but I really don't know what other way this could of
been done.  Is this the way it is done?"

I've always seen it done this way, although I seem to recall that if a
crank throw is drastically underweight, lead plugs are added to it.

"He is also claiming that since all the pistons&conrods now weight the
same it doesn't matter what order I put them in as long as I keep each
piston and conrod as a set.  This surprised me but seems to make sense.
What do you think?"

He's absolutely correct. What matters for these assemblies is that they all
weigh the same. Their location relative to one another is not important.

As an aside, when I had my engine balanced, the fellow said he was
surprised at how similar the reciprocating components were in weight; 1-2
grams spread. I'd recommend this to anyone that rebuilds an engine; it
costs about $200 and makes a big difference.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)