Re: Headlight rims

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: Headlight rims
From: lgmiceli@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 22:59:00 -0400
Cc: lgmiceli@juno.com, kelly@dss.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:22:31 +0600 (EDT) Andrew Mace
<amace@unix2.nysed.gov> writes:

>Interesting question, Larry. According to spare parts catalogues,
>etc.,
>this probably is not correct. But as with so many other things
>Triumph, it
>is probably impossible to document what piles of spares might have
>been
>used (or used up) for cars destined for certain markets, such as the
>U.S..

>--Andy

Andy,

I have a book titled "The Complete Guide to Triumph Herald & Vitesse"
written by Mike Costigan (1992) and published by Bay View Books of 13a
Bridgeland Street, Bideford, Devon. EX39 2QE.  It shows the headlamp rims
as being changed from the original  3.75 inch rims to 3.25 inch rims in
mid 1963! I have found the book to be a great source of information on
restoring my Herald and would recommend it to any Herald/Vitesse
enthusiast. Unfortunately, I have never seen it in the states and
purchased my copy in London at Harrod's book dept.

As to my Herald, again it shows that nothing can be taken for granted,
The carpets in it were originally light blue, not gray, and the head lamp
rims are without question the early ones, and were in HORRIBLE shape when
I replaced them with the NOS pair.  Of course, the next owner of the car
will probably think the car came with disk brakes, dual SU's an o/d
transmission and wire wheels.  I guess I really should send off for the
Heritage certificate and check on those original items.

BTW, I really enjoyed the last issue of the VTR newsletter. Let's have
more Herald stuff next issue.

And if you are not using that radio from Matt Barre in the Herald,  I'd
like to borrow it until you need it? If not, maybe I could ask you to
take some pictures and  post them on the web page so that I could see
what it was all about.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag