Re: Heater System

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: Heater System
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:14:37 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

Patrick Bitton wrote:
>         I brought my car for an inspection and it did not pass. One of the
> things that was wrong with the car was the heater. It seems to blow air, but
> not hard at all. Even at full strength. Does anyone know what it could be?

Patrick,

I'm assuming that you can hear the fan running when you turn it on?  If
not, that is an obvious place to start your trouble shooting efforts.
Where are you looking for heater output?

If there is no defroster output, check the currogated tubes that run from
the heater box to the defroster outlets in the dash.  These can (will)
break open in the middle over time and if this happens, output at the
defroster vents will be greatly reduced.  The pieces themselves are
relatively cheap, and getting them in is great fun.  You will spend a
couple of hours standing on your head in your car.

If there is reduced output everywhere, perhaps the cable controlling the
output from the box has broken (i.e. the "Car/Demist"  selector - not sure
how it's labeled on the TR6) leaving the box such that output is halfway
between defrost and footwell settings.

Another possibility that springs to mind is that small, furry creatures
may have taken up residence somewhere in the system and plugged things up
with a nest.  This happened to me once in a VW van I used to have.

Hope this helps some,
Mike
Omaha NE