Re: Heater System

To: John Matthews <matthews@sj.bigger.net>
Subject: Re: Heater System
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:27:28 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> Patrick Bitton wrote:
> >         I brought my car for an inspection and it did not pass. One of the
> > things that was wrong with the car was the heater. It seems to blow air, but
> > not hard at all. Even at full strength. Does anyone know what it could be?

John Matthews retorted:

> What inspection agency requires heaters??
> I thought they were an accessory......

I kinda wondered myself. I know some jurisdictions require some sort of
defrosting or demisting mechanism for the windshield, but beyond that
equipment being present, how would they determine its effectiveness? Take
the owner's word for it? Place car in large meat cooler for five minutes?
Use a smoke generator and visually track the airflow inside the car?

I can just see NYS inspectors adding this procedure to the long list of
things they're supposed to check for the whopping $10.00 inspection fee.
;-)

--Andy