More about thrust bearing mods

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: More about thrust bearing mods
From: Dennis <d.wilson@asu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:51:34 -0700 (MST)
Just a few words about thrust bearing mods to TR 6s and the same mod
for 1500 and 1296 Spit engines.

>From the recent net messages, I understand that the article mentioned
using harder phosphor-bronze washers.  I mentioned using a harder
material for the thrust washers (to an MG mechanic) who said that this
might increase the wear in the crank thrust surface.  I other words,
something is going to wear, harder bearings will increase crank wear.
Don't know if this is true however.

Second, about using brass pins.  Holes drilled into the cap will
reduce the cap strength.  I was told to use thrust bearings with tabs
in (like those in the A series engines) for the added full circle
pair.  This may mean welding a tab onto the standard tabless half circle
bearings, having some specially made up, or finding a close match and
from another car and modifying they to fit.  This would also mean
milling out a space for the tab in the cap so it did not spin round.
Maybe a shallow hole and small pin would not reduce cap strength
significantly, especially if the cap was shot peened after??

Cheers Dennis