Re: TR8 Tranny Lube

To: TRI-List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR8 Tranny Lube
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:58:01 -0400
Robert Allen wrote:

> Could someone volunteer some advice on TR8 tranny lube? I have heard
> varying responses on what kind and how much to put in.
>
> The last I heard, it was ATF, even though the manual stated hypoid 75.
> Also, I am hearing that one should actually put in three quarts, instead
> of the recommended two quarts, to aid the  pump that moves the stuff
> around.  The theory is that if the pump goes bad, the splash lubrication
> will work.
>
> TIA
> --
> Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
Bob,

Always used ATF in my '80 TR7 5-speed transmission. It ran flawlessly
for three years until we were attacked by a suicidal pine tree in north
Alabama. The TR7 came with the usual heavy weight gear oil (75W) and was
difficult to shift in cold weather until it warmed. I changed it out in
favor of ATF as soon I heard that the factory had begun to deliver cars
with ATF. I'm afraid I wasn't fussy about quantity--whatever filled it
up at the filler.

JTN
'58 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
'86 TVR 280i