Re: Headers? On my TR6?

To: rick@vir.com
Subject: Re: Headers? On my TR6?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:55:42 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I'm sure you got responses to your question(s), but here's my $.02.

A header will increase your underhood temps.

With a "free flow" exhaust, your car will tend to run a bit more on the
lean side. You may need to play with your mixture adjustment to get the
fuel/air ratio just right.

The Moss header is not made very well IMHO. I have one on my car right
now and it is a real PITA to get a seal between the manifold and the
head. I may pull it off (again) and weld a small bead around each of the
ports in attempt to get it to seal. This is one reason that it pays to
buy the best header you can afford.

If you do install the header, consider Jet-Hot (ceramic coating) it if
you have $150-$200 to spare. This will drop unerhood temps. If not,
another possibility is "header wrap". Header Wrap has drawbacks, but it
will lower temps. You might also look into installing a heat shield for
the starter, as the header will trap a lot of heat around the starter!!

Keep your girlfriend around!!! My soon to be x-wife never did quite
understand my affliction with my TR6. Note: if your friend did not give
you the best available header, use it anyway!! If you return it you will
be sending a message to her that she will not like!!

Get a set of earplugs. The Monza system with a header is LOUD. W/O the
earplugs, my ears start ringing after a trip of more that 20 minutes.

It's great driving by cars with motion alarms with the Monza exhaust. I
keep setting the alrams off when I drive by. ;-)

I noticed that my trunk (boot in the UK) floor runs quite a bit hotter
with the Monza mufflers. I'm not sure why, but it is definitely higher
temps in there now with the Monza.

Frankly, if you take long trips - you'd be better off with a stock
system, but I admit that the Monza/header thing sounds kool.

rml

Zooooom Zoooom.
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few.