RE: Headers? On my TR6?

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Headers? On my TR6?
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 16:38:00 -0500
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Ross D. Vincenti wrote:
>Tom - regarding my earlier post about poor driveability in heavy stop and
>go driving, I am thinking about mounting a small polished aluminum heat
shield
>on my Mk I Spitfire (with twin SU carbs and a Mk II header) between the
>carbs and the header.  Have you tried one on your TR6?  Did it help much?
> How about the header wrap?  Has it helped alleviate the problem?  Where
>didyou get it?

Ross, I've seen several TRs with a heat shield as you describe and the
owners said they worked fine.  I decided on the header wrap because it
keeps the heat in the header tubes which keeps exhaust gas velocity
high, theoretically increasing flow.  It also gets the heat out of
engine compartment completely, rather than simply redirecting it.  The
disadvantages include faster deteriation of the header due to more heat
and the wrap's potential to hold moisture, and possibly hotter feet for
my passenger.  The second one could be solved by adding a heat shield of
some sort between the exhaust and the floor.  Since I never ride on that
side of the car, I haven't done that yet.

By far the best price I've found on header wrap is at Racer Wholesale
1-800-326-0372.  Good prices on racing safety equipment, too.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!