RE: Headers? On my TR6?

To: richard bacon <rick@vir.com.wgcinet>
Subject: RE: Headers? On my TR6?
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:23:00 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Richard, the headers are a fine idea, but you will need to fabricate a
heat shield or use header wrap or you will cook your carbs.  Before I
installed the header wrap on my headers I had some drivability problems
during stop and go driving and hard starting after short shutdowns.  The
cause was obvious when I put my hand on a carburetor *ouch, that's hot*.

My Monza exhaust was fun until the novelty wore off.  I think that was
about 70 miles into a 200 mile highway trip.  The Monza is LOUD!  I
replaced the Monza rear mufflers with Walker Dyno-Max mufflers and
Walker stainless steel tips.  This is much better, but still loud enough
to hear me coming!  The main difference IMHO, is that the Walkers more
effectively muffle the high frequencies.  At idle, from 50 ft. away, it
sounds like thunder rolling in the distance :-D  I've gotten several
unsolicited comments at autocrosses and track "touring" sessions about
how good it sounds, and it doesn't make my ears ring when I drive it to
the event.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!