Re: Electric Oil Pumps?

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Oil Pumps?
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 97 15:50:14 EDT
On Jun 9,  3:07pm, Tom Tweed wrote:
> and I'm wondering if Bill was asking about an electric oil pump to be
> used before starting the engine, to assure full oiling at start-up,
> since I've heard that that's when most wear occurs.
>
> In fact, I remember the `Goss Garage Guy' on the PBS program _Motorweek_
> describing an accessory electric oiler, and gave the above reason for
> it being a geed idea.  I suppose it could be something mounted external
> to the engine, with appropriate fittings and oil lines; it could be
> turned on with the key in the `idiot light check' position, at which
> time you could wait 10 seconds or so, for the oil to get up to the
> rocker shaft, for instance.

You've basically described a device called an Accusump, which is
a pressure accumulator.  It feeds oil to the engine whenever there's
a pressure drop and can be wired to an electric solenoid to pre-oil
the engine.  I've got one on the race car; cheap insurance...

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm