RE: TR6 back suspension

To: "swarren@dow.com" <swarren@dow.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 back suspension
From: "Tom Gentry "<TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:12:00 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Silas, changing rear springs is a relatively simple thing, but please be
aware that the compressed springs are storing a LOT of force.

Here's how I do it, it may or may not be the safest way and all standard
disclaimers apply:

With the rear of the car supported by jack stands, and wheel(s) removed,
I use my hydraulic floor jack to slightly compress the spring by jacking
up the trailing arm.  I then unbolt the shock link from the trailing arm
and s-l-o-w-l-y lower the trailing arm.  You can now remove the old
spring, installation is the reverse of this procedure.

Final Safety Note:  I always angle the floor jack so that my position is
next to the car door, so if the spring should shoot out (it never has)
it will be going away from me.

Tom Gentry
Life is to short to drive boring cars!