Re: Stromberg CD4 mixure tuning

To: Glenn Bowley <gbowley@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Stromberg CD4 mixure tuning
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 17:27:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Glenn,

You'll need to get the proper 1/8" allen wrench tool to do a big
adjustment. The fine adjuster under the cap has a very limited range. It
sounds like you'll need to do a coarser adjustment of the mixture needle
first.

The 412 ppm figure is really your HC (hydrocarbon) measurement; i.e.
unburnt fuel passing out the exhaust pipe. What was your CO reading? That
should be given in a figure represented as a percentage. If your CO was
high, you're definately running rich.

Try finding the tool either locally (from a sympathetic LBC repair shop)
or mail order. It only cost about $8 and they're handy to have in your
tool box--once you get the hang of it, you can impress your friends, who
have similar cars, with your knowledge.  Use the correct tool, which
keeps the diaphragm from twisting, thus tearing. Bummer!

Anyway, to adjust the fuel mixture, turning clockwise richens, turning
counter-clockwise leans.

Good luck,
Charlie B.
Spitifre Pilot