Re: bummer paint

To: gi <gi@aros.net>
Subject: Re: bummer paint
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 23:05:28 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
gi wrote:

> Doug:
> I have a charcoal gray S-10 Blazer.  There are parts of the clear coat
> that are oxidized beyond repair.  I recently looked into repainting it
> and I learned a little about gray and silver paints.  Basically gray
> paint has the shortest lifespan of any color.  Something about the
> metallic flakes in the paint and the effects of the sun on them. Even
> the best clear coats can't help.
> On ther other hand some car manufacturers have been known to have
> problems with certain colors during certain years.  It's always a
> gamble.

I think it is as much a matter of the light absorption of the paint as
anything, although metalflakes may exacerbate the problem. I thought the
problem with dark metalflakes and dark clear-coated colors was limited
to here in the Southwest, until I saw my brother's Jeep pickup after
five years... clear coat destroyed, in Massachusetts.

Take heart, however--there's a new product on the market in the last
year or so which is reputed to dissolve the clear coat and leave the
underlying paint untouched. Unfortunately, I don't think it's available
at retail. However, body shops in this area are charging about $400 to
strip the oxidized and/or peeling clear coat off (admittedly high, but
probably a great deal cheaper than sanding it off by hand and repairing
the base coat).

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....