Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas

To: "Steve L. Toth" <ybullet@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR - Hostility toward Miatas
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 22:28:56 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve L. Toth wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>    I distinctly remember having this string running about a year ago when
> someone from the Mazda list got word that yours truly had made negative
> comments about their precious Miatas.

Uh, don't think you were the only one, Steve.... <g>

>    It all started when an automotive magazine compared the Miata with a TR3.
> I couldn't believe that a comparison could be made.  It's apples and oranges!
>
>    So for everyone whining about how the poor Miata doesn't get any respect,
> JUST GET OFF IT!

I can see now why you've won no friends on the Mazda list.... <big grin>
BTW, did you know that Moss Motors now has a Miata catalog?

>    If you want a Miata because it's so "great", then get one, but don't
> write to us on the Triumph list and tell us about what a fine automobile it
> is, and how much better it is than our beloved TRs!

I think it's something to do with Miata air-conditioning.... The owners
never seem to feel the need to take the top down. <g> Kind of lets the
outside in when one does that. <g>

>    This is strictly my opinion.   I'm just sick of hearing about comparisons.

Here's one more... in Austin this weekend, for the first time ever, I
saw a Miata with part of the passenger door and right rear quarter all
stove in, and its owner probably hadn't the resources to get it fixed,
because it was well-rusted in the places where the paint was missing.
First thing which came to mind was, "hey, now it's starting to look like
some of the British cars I've owned!" And the second thing about it I
noticed was that he had the top up. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....