Re: Clear Coating

To: PAUL LOGUE <GPAULOGUE@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Clear Coating
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:27:46 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
PAUL LOGUE wrote:

> On Thu, 29 May 1997, Doug Mathews wrote:
>
> > I know it is a Japanese Rice Rocket, but my 91 Nissan PU is grey and has
> > clear coat on it. The clear coat started peeling about 2.5 years ago. I've
> > seen other vehicles with the same problem.
> >
> > Clear coat is not always the answer....
>
> Then Andy Mace wrote:
>
> Agreed. My 1991 Ford Explorer is "Deep Emerald Green Clearcoat Metallic";

snip...

> My 77 Spit was recently painted with a high tech enamel and the clear was
> mixed with the enamel!  The finish is so deep in places that it looks like you
> could walk into it!  The professional painter here in GA says that only
> dynamite will take it off!  When I am through putting it back together, he
> wants to buff it out even more.  I can hardly wait.
>
> Paul Logue
> 77 Spit
> Midland, GA

 My '70 TR6 is getting painted similar to what Paul has indicated.

 Three coats of paint (laurel green), fourth coat will have clear
 coating mixed in. The only difference is the shop will put a final
clear
 coat over this. Similar discussion with my shop, will withstand most
 anything and scratches can be buffed/wet sanded out.

 I absolutely trust the shop that has been doing the work. The owner
fired
 the body man who put in four weeks worth of work because he was not
satisfied
 with the quality and has personally redone all the work over, at NO
COST!

 Scott Suhring
 Elizabethtown, PA
 '70 TR6