Re: Clear Coating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clear Coating
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:17:08 -0400
Well, as long as we're beating up on clear-coat, I can tell you that the
paint on my '93 Nissan Altima has spots on all the horizontal surfaces from
acid rain or other environmental fallout.

Being fair now, I don't think that the paint system itself is bad. My
Triumph has base/clear paint on it, but the painter put on lots of paint.
The difference is that the new car manufacturers are saving money by
putting on thin paint jobs. It takes almost nothing to scratch through the
paint on a new car, as Andy has pointed out. My wife's car is white (a '92
Nissan) and there are many edges that have worn through to primer from
simply buffing it out. I had a '91 VW that did the same thing.

Phil Barnes
peb3@cornell.edu
'71 TR6  CC61193L (20 year owner)