Getting rid of a friction reducing additive in an Overdrive.

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Getting rid of a friction reducing additive in an Overdrive.
From: "Murphy, Dave" <Dave.Murphy@alliedsignal.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 21:35:00 -0700
Last year I was lazy and had my 1976 TR-6 transmission and J-Type
overdrive oil changed
at one of the quick lube places. The oil (I think it was 80W90, but
might have been slightly thinner) was bulk and wasn't supposed to have
any special friction reducing additives.
However I think it did have a friction reducer, because after about a
half hour drive in hot
weather, the drivetrain began to slip severely in BOTH OD and DIRECT
whenever power was applied.
The next night, it seemed to pull OK when cold, but slipped again when
hot.
I've just changed the fluid to a simple Sunoco GL-5 rated 80W90 (the
only bottles I found in the store that didn't brag about low friction
and wear reduction), but I haven't yet driven the car to see if the slip
returns.
My question:
If it still slips, and the cause is because the OD clutch remains coated
with slip-reducer, what can I do to stop the slip short of rebuilding
the OD unit? What about changing the fluid again or even a flush with
paint thinner, etc?
Dave Murphy
P.S. Main flywheel clutch is OK.