Re: Any sales going on?

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Any sales going on?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 02:03:15 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> I wonder how much stock they really did have before the sale since some
> of the prices seemed quite good.

Peter, as best as I can gather, most of the bigger suppliers (Moss, TRF,
VB) run these sales in the low sales-volume winter and spring months,
but they don't actually stock the parts for the anticipated
demand--instead, they let the orders accumulate until they have enough
to place a bulk order to their supplier to get an additional price break
on that volume. I waited about four-five months for a set of repro
Minilites ordered on sale from VB last year, and I felt certain that was
what was going on, because I got the lug nuts for the order two months
before the wheels arrived. The suppliers inevitably say that the
manufacturer is behind on the order, but I see this happen in other
areas of the automotive industry for specialty parts (even for buses).

The most prudent view to take on such seasonal sales is that if the
price break is reasonably good, the parts won't be there quickly, so
save the order for the sale items you want, rather than need
immediately. There's no point in berating the offeror for delivery,
because they won't tell you they're holding the order, nor will they
tell you the strategy behind the sale. Best to order the most
immediately necessary stuff elsewhere and live with delays on the stuff
not horribly important. <g>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....