Re: using a pinto 2bbl manifold on a spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: using a pinto 2bbl manifold on a spitfire
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 21:59:25 -0400
Hello Ed, saw your question,

 >Hello all!  Someone mention before having put a Pinto manifold and 2bbl
 >carb onto a Spitfire.   I have a 1965 Spitfire and know of a junkyard
 >Pinto from which I could get a free manifold from.  Is it a bolt on
 >change?  If any work has to be done, what?  And what kind of gains
 >should I expect?  Does anyone know of a better carb setup for the
 >Spitfire that could be had as cheaply?  I'd love a set of Webbers, but
 >they are way out of my price range.
 >
 >Ed (who drove his formerly dead Spitfire around for the first time
 >today)

but I have a few more questions, such as:

What year / engine is the donor Pinto ??  The earliest ones had a
1600cc pushrod 4-cyl made by Ford of England, as I recall, but only
a single-barrel carb.  Later ('72-'77 approx) cars may have had the
2000cc OHC engine, with manual valve adjustment, and various Carter
carbs, some with the infamous `water choke'.  There was also the
2300cc OHC engine on most later cars, especially if they had the
auto trans and/or AC; it was in nearly all the last cars, unless
they had the optional V-6 !

In short, over the production life of the Pinto, there were many
changes to the carbs due to air emission regulations, along with
the three possible (4-cyl.) engines fitted.  I havent' done any
measuring, or checked a Hollander manual, but just off the top of
my head, I think it would be a long shot that ANY of the OHC engine
manifolds would bolt up to the 1147 Spit engine;  Maybe the 1600
manifold, but then, that would be the rarest Pinto engine of them
all, pre-'72 I think.  You might want to check your source of info
about this swap, it just sounds unlikely to me.

Plenty more Humble Opinions upon request.
Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'76 Pinto (crushed)