Wheel Hub Dust Caps

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Wheel Hub Dust Caps
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:56:51 -0600
A while ago there was a thread where someone suggested a way to avoid
the need to destroy the dust cap on the front wheel axles is to attach a
nut on the inside of the dust cap. When the time came to remove the cap,
a suitable bolt is threaded through the nut and turned until the bolt
pushes against the axle. Then the cap will eventually be freed with no
damage.

Well I have the bolt and the accompanying nuts. The dust caps are from
Moss, and are painted black. The metal the caps are made of seems like
the same soft metal my original caps were.

I took the stuff to a bike shop where the guy builds bicycle frames so
he knows something about brazing. He said he wouldn't want to attempt
brazing the nuts to the caps for fear of melting the caps with too much
heat.

Would anyone who has attached the nuts to their caps please explain how
they did this? Would soldering hold the nuts in place? Are there any
glues which could do the trick? Or is the bike guy merely trying to
avoid doing this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)