Re: Nology "Hot Wires"

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nology "Hot Wires"
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 16:35:03 -0400
>Actually, the physics is correct. If they can dump all of the energy
>(the same thing as "Work") that's stored in the coil, into the
>combustion chamber, in a shorter time, they are delivering a more
>powerful spark. And, the spark temperature will be hotter. The real
>issue, IMO, is whether this will produce better combustion. I have my
>doubts (more on this below).

Which is exactly why, when you have trouble firing up an engine, pull the
plug wires off the plugs and rest them a half inch or so away from the
plugs, so the spark has to jump.  You can then sometimes start an otherwise
unwilling engine.

Never had to do it with a car, but on damp mornings, before restoration,
I've had my Norton start on one (of 2) cylinders and refuse to fire the
second (two old Amal Carbs.)  Pulling the non-firing cylinder sprak plug
wire (hurts, 'cause you get zapped) then fires it up.  It would then run all
day long.

If your engine just won't catch, and you have exhausted all other avenues,
give it a shot.  It may surprise you.

Jack