Re: how to i.d.a GT6+ gearbox

To: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: how to i.d.a GT6+ gearbox
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:31:57 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, w.davies@virgin.net
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Dave Fain wrote:

> >Should be KC or KD (either) on a GT6+.
>
> Where did you get your information?  My factory shop
> manual sez the gearbox numbers start at KC1 on the MkI
> and at KC50001 on the Plus.  It's possible that they
> changed to KD on the Plus after my manual was published.

I'm pretty sure that only the diff's carried KC and KD numbers, not the
gearboxes.

> >KE or KF (GT6 Mk3), or HC (Vitesse 2 Litre) will also be OK.
>
> Thomasen's Guide to Originality shows KE for the Mk3.  Again,
> maybe the KF came along later in the run?  I am not disputing
> your info, I just want to know for the record.  You know how us
> engineer types are.

Here is another example of how the U.S. models are "slighted" in so many
reference works. KF is the series used for the U.S. version of the GT6
Mk.3 in Commission, Engine and Gearbox numbering.

> Just out of curiosity, did the overdrive boxes have any
> sort of unique numbers or were they simply scattered among
> the regular numbering series?  A. retentive minds want to know.

I don't have all my books in front of me, but I don't believe the OD
gearboxes were numbered separately. Exception: GT6 Mk.3 gearboxes with
overdrive supposedly had a different ratio of reverse gear than the non-OD
boxes, but I don't know if that corresponds to the difference between KE
and KF gearboxes.

--Andy