Re: TR6 Progress

Subject: Re: TR6 Progress
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:31:19 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Mon, 19 May 1997, Scott Paisley wrote:

> Many people feel that 10W30 is simply too low of an oil
> weight.  I know that I'll see lower pressure, but on a engine
> with fresh bearings, it shouldn't drop below 25 lbs with hot
> oil with 10W30 in my experience.  The crank was ground not
> more than 20,000 miles ago, and has seen light running.  Lower
> oil viscosity would make lower pressure, but I'm seeing some
> real low readings folks.  Before the recent rebuild, oil
> pressure was 35 lbs hot, with 10W40 in her.  Now I'd say it's
> 15 or so.  There's a problem here, and it ain't oil weight.
I must be missing something here.  Obviously, higher oil weight will
result in higher oil pressure, but does that translate to better valve
lubrication?  If your pump isn't working well enough to get at the valves
with 10W30, I don't see how heavier oil can make a difference.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U(being restored)