RE: installing windshield in '79 Spitfire

To: "KEVIN EDDINS" <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL> (Return requested), "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: installing windshield in '79 Spitfire
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 19 May 1997 08:54:02 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 052723380779A036-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 19 May 1997 08:54:02 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 19 May 1997 08:54:02 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <052723380779A036*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
KEVIN EDDINS wrote:
I have heard many horror stories about installing windshields.  Is it really
that hard and dangerous (tedious) to do this on my own (me and my
wife).  Or should I shell out the extra bucks and have someone come do
it for me.  I would think that if I follow the manual on the installation
that it wouldn't
be that hard.  But I've heard otherwise.  Any tips would be nice.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Kevin - been there, done that.  Trust me, shell out the extra bucks.  (1)
It's not dangerous, just a pain in the arse, (2) it is easy to crack a
windscreen if you do not know what you are doing, (3) the pros install so
many that they have a good "feel" for how much pressure to apply before
things go "CRACK" which was, IMHO, the biggest limitation I had.

The missus and I used gobs of liquid soap, WD-40 and other lubricants, got
it about 90% installed except for the lower corner on the passenger side,
and then spent another hour and a half on that little section.  The problem
is that this being the first one I had done, I had no idea how hard one can
push on a partly installed windscreen without cracking it.  Well, I found
out.  Pretty hard but not TOO hard - how's that for a nice vague standard of
measurement of force?  Seriously, IMHO there is as much "art" to the process
as "follow the Bentley manual" technical skill.  Besides, "some" auto glass
installers will replace the screen if they break it during installation.
 Good luck.

Ross D. Vincenti - Costa Mesa, CA
65 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe